7/08/2011

Catching Up: Hartford, CT

Conveniently, my sister's graduation weekend in VT lined up nicely with my husband's stay in Hartford, CT.  The day after graduation, I took my sister's car and headed to Connecticut.  Originally, I was going to take a leisurely and scenic train trip, but since the lake was flooded and my sister's restaurant wasn't open for the season yet, she decided to spend the week in Maine with my dad and then they would head down to Hartford for an extended family get-together on Saturday.  Naturally I already had my train ticket in hand and the night we got to Burlington, VT, my sister realized that I ought to take her car to Hartford so that she could drive it back up to VT.  How tidy!

It was perfect having a car in Hartford, because there were a lot of things outside the downtown area to do. We took a drive out to visit my cousin and her family, and I was able to get out to my uncle's house as well.  Most exciting though, was the easy trip to West Hartford and the discovery of yummy gluten free hamburger buns... and subsequently the discovery of which bakery they came from (obviously we drove out there too!)

This kooky polka dotted house was next to the gluten free bakery.  It seems to be some sort of gift shop and girly party place.



Great view from our hotel window.  It was a suites hotel and we lucked into a corner room, so we had two windows in the living room and one in the bedroom... and they all opened!



Hartford has a lot of roads in need of line re-painting... half the time I couldn't figure out if it was I was driving in one or two lanes!



Many insurance companies call Hartford home, including Traveler's Insurance who has this super cool gigantic umbrella in their plaza.



Mark Twain Statue made of legos.  Love it.



This is the carriage house at Mark Twain's home - there was a lot of interesting woodwork, I really liked the dragon in the eave



Mark Twain's house had really fancy brickwork too

No comments:

Post a Comment