3/18/2012

semi-DIY picture framing

A few weeks ago, I started looking around the house at all the unframed art we have.  This particular poster has been sitting on top of books in the office for as long as I remember which is a shame because it's really cool!  I decided it was high time to put it in a frame, but since I'd just taken three of my grandmother's watercolor paintings to a proper frame shop (and paid the ouchie price), I wanted to find a cheaper option.  

It's an odd size, so buying a readymade frame wasn't an option.  I headed to Jerry's Artarama to see the frame pieces that you buy and assemble yourself.  They've got four frame styles and then you just choose the dimensions.  I did have the frame person at Jerry's cut the mat for me (about $14) and then I bought the 13" and 28" frame segments and the offset clips.  It was so easy to put together!

You just tap the piece of plastic into place with hammer!

Next, lay everything inside the frame (note: I have foamcore and the extra practice mat behind the picture)




I got 1/2" offset clips (the largest they had) and they weren't deep enough, so I stacked squares cut from extra mat board to make up the difference.  I drilled pilot holes, then screwed the clips in place


Looking good!  I cut a bit of the mat board out to go around the monkey's foot... this is why there's a practice one behind the picture - it didn't go well the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment