5/03/2011

final draping project reveal!

I am so glad I started my final project for draping class early (early for me anyway.)  Last week, I spent a few hours on Sunday, a few on Monday, and basically all day and into the night on Tuesday working on my project - and finished before midnight on Tuesday!  All told, I think I spent just under 20 hours on it which I feel like is a lot!

The dress!  It's very cute but I realized too late that it has a sheer overlay and would then be twice as much work and use twice as much fabric!  



Testing the bodice and skirt before working on the sleeve and collar.  The skirt is a circle skirt with decorative pleats


tracing the muslin onto pattern paper


they're wondering why I'm not done yet!


Pinning the muslin back together, all ready to turn in with the paper pattern and finished piece



Tracing the pattern pieces onto my fabrics, cursing again because last year I ordered 3 rolls of light blue tracing paper and they sent me dark blue (but I didn't care enough to return it) and it's pretty bold on my white fabrics.  Good thing it's just a half a dress for a project, not one for me to wear!



The finished product!  It looks like the picture, but is not nearly as svelte looking on my size 14 dress form as compared to the fashion drawing : (


Using silk organza instead of polyester would make the skirt flow out of the pleats better, but was way out of budget : )  

The breakdown:  
sleeve - 4 pattern pieces
bodice - only 2 pattern pieces because the sheer was flatlined onto the opaque
skirt lining - a flared skirt with 2 pattern pieces
sheer skirt - circle skirt with pleats, 2 pattern pieces
collar - 1 pattern, cut of sheer and opaque

1 comment: