5/25/2011

New England, I've missed you...

I've run off to New England and I don't want to go back to the South!  I'm on day 7 of an 11 day trip to Vermont and Connecticut.

It started with a trip up to Vermont to see my sister graduate from college, and now I'm enjoying a week long stay with my lovely husband in historic Hartford, CT.  I absolutely love New England in the springtime, and it's even sweeter to see since our spring at home in the South has already wound down and the 90+ degree days have descended upon us.

I'd show pictures, but I've already gotten kicked off of the hotel internet twice in 2 days - once for checking my email (apparently my email program offends the internet gods at this hotel) and the other time either from using too much bandwidth looking at CNN or my friend's craft blog.

The drive up was long but enjoyable.  We like to take the scenic route (a family trait) so we take the interstate through the VA mountains and western PA, no I-95 corridor for us!  The small town of Clinton, NJ was the overnight stopping point, and I really have to suggest stopping there if anyone happens to go through.  The downtown area is really cute and I can't get over all the gorgeous Victorian houses.

The highlight of NJ was stopping to see a friend and her brand new 3 week old baby.  It was so funny seeing a tiny baby (I haven't seen one that new or that little in a really really long time) and I can't wait to make lots of cute little dresses for her!  Her baby was a perfect little angel while I visited, just sleeping and making cute faces while I held her for almost an hour.  The thing about babies is that even though they're cute, they do an awful lot of crying and projectile pooping.  That's important stuff to keep in mind.

Vermont has been getting more than its fair share of rain and snow melt, so Lake Champlain is 2.5 feet above flood stage.  My sister's summer job is on hold because even though the restaurant floats, the dock is flooded so no one can get to it.  I have some pictures of the lake with the crazy flooding, but again, with this extremely finicky internet connection, I have to wait to share!  Again, I was obsessed with all of the Victorian houses and even though I've been up there many times, it's still amazing to see.  It's hard to see college kids living in these great old houses with turrets and amazing trim work and slate tiles... and hanging their ugly hippie tapestries all over and having a general layer of college filth and grime on top of everything.  Maybe one day I'll live in a gorgeous painted lady with a turret and stop being jealous of these college kids... but for now I'll settle for our cute brick ranch : )

I've got big plans for Hartford too... there are lots of historic buildings to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment