5/15/2011

rain, rain... do I want you to go or stay?

We're in the midst of a very rainy week.  I am so happy for that because of all of the plants I have recently planted... we need the water when we can get it before we head full on into the hot dry summer!  On the other hand, I'm having a personal problem this week with a leaky pipe in the kitchen wall and trying to dry out the crawlspace and subfloor is harder when it's raining!

You can't even imagine the feeling of minding your own business on the back patio painting some shelves and suddenly seeing water come pouring out of the bricks on the side of your house!  It was absolutely crazy seeing the house peeing.  Luckily I knew immediately that it was the drainage pipe for the dishwasher and kitchen sink because the dishwasher was mid-cycle, so there wasn't an emergency need for a plumber.  I just stopped using them until the plumber came in the morning.  I have no idea how long the leaking has been going on - I'm not often washing dishes while standing on the back patio.  It's a small miracle that I happened to be there to find out what's been going on!

There are a few wet floor joists and wet subfloor under the kitchen, but it only spans 3 joists and comes out about 2' from the wall - not a huge area.  We set up my dad's dehumidifier in the crawlspace and now I get to attend to the pleasurable task of going down there 3x daily to empty it!  I'm thankful that our crawlspace is around 3' high, much better than a lot of them.  I'm also glad that this was an exterior wall on a brick house that's 1 story.  It's like the least damaging scenario for a big water leak!



fun video clip of the new water feature on the back of our house!


Before the plumbing excitement, I was doing more interesting things...

Project:  Dog Bowl Cover - age 3ish years?

Our dog has occasionally gotten his collar tags stuck in the metal frame of his dog bowl holder.  I've had a yucky towel laying over the frame for a couple of years now to prevent that from happening, and I finally decided to make a proper top. 

The new wooden cover was outside while the paint dried and somehow in the 4 hours that the dog bowl frame was not protected by anything he managed to completely upend it.  I have seen this happen a few times and it's crazy - and really upsetting to our dog when he ends up wearing the frame as a necklace!  I was out to dinner and found this scene when I got home.  I have no idea how he managed to get one bowl perfectly inside the other.


The new frame.  It's so cute looking because I used the spray paint left over from our wedding table numbers!  I was very proud of my jigsaw skills.  Very disappointed that my screw for the underneath support very nearly popped through (you can see it in the front part).  Maybe if we got around to organizing the tools better (or at least into one location) I'd have used the proper length screws instead of scrounging up the least inappropriately sized screws I could find.


The new frame cover in action.  Tommy is looking on approvingly, wondering why it has taken years to make this happen!  The water bowl is too big because it pre-dates our frame.  After this photo, I finally went to the pet store and got a bowl that is the right size so the cats would quit sloshing it around when they lean on it.

If you think this is cute, wait till you see the shelf I made for above the stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment