4/09/2011

Yay for the TreeMan!

I got up early thinking it would be a nice relaxing ho-hum day at home.  I'm feeling mostly better except for pain in my wrists and hands (which is better than yesterday, so that's great!)  The day turned out to be far from ho-hum though!

I picked up some sub work at the ballet this weekend, so that will be two shows Saturday and one show Sunday.  I feel pretty good about going to work for a couple of days and am desperately hoping that my hands feel normal tomorrow.  Luckily there isn't really any shoe tying or buckling during ballet costume changes, so I should be ok with my sub-optimal fine motor skills.

I spent the morning looking around online at area rugs.  Our beloved dog Tommy is getting older and HATES to walk on hardwood floors.  I got a runner for the hallway a few months ago and he's finally deemed it safe to walk on.  He decided to sleep on our bedroom floor last night (which only happens about 3 times a year and usually just during a storm) so now I'm thinking again about getting an area rug for the bedroom floor so that he'll feel safer and more welcome.  I found an option from FLOR that I'm really excited about!  I don't need a rug quite that big but I love the shape and I could cut it myself out of an area made of fewer tiles.  I feel like this rug has a slim to none "husband approval" chance but I went ahead and ordered a few swatches to look at, so we'll see.  Did I mention that the swatches are pink?  Pink is the new black, it looks good with every other color, even orange which is the color of our bedroom!

I also started tearing apart the cushions on the patio furniture so I could soak the foam parts in bleach.  They're ugly and I want to make new covers for the foam inside them (which is about as gross looking as the chair seat in the before photo.)  I also tried cleaning one of the chairs and it turned out really well!


before




after... like brand new!


Towards the end of the outdoor furniture / bleach project, the TreeMan called and said he could come over in a couple of hours because of a cancellation this afternoon!  This was VERY EXCITING because he just did the estimate yesterday afternoon and said it would probably be a couple of weeks.  He knew I was eager to get the gnarled redbud down while the cherry tree was still blooming, so he snuck us into the schedule when they got the opening!

The guys took out the 2 gnarled old dying redbud trees, all the Bradford Pear babies behind the fence, a fully grown Bradford Pear baby on the side of the yard, 3 GIANT overgrown boxwoods in front of the shed, and the saplings by the house.  (for those not in the know, Bradford Pear trees have pretty but stinky flowers, the bastard spawn of Bradford Pear trees do not flower and are pokey with thorn type protrusions on the branches)



before - with the 2 extra large rotting redbud trees in the foreground




after - what a great view!



The redbud trees were dying and hollow inside!  Good thing we took them down!




shed before... with 3 GIANT shrubberies




shed after... one good power washing away from a spiffy new paint job!

No comments:

Post a Comment